A while back I wanted to share this little blurb I wrote with a yoga magazine or something of the zen kind. Instead I'll share it here. Hope you like:
***

We are becoming ourselves always. There will never be one defining moment in our lives. Every now and then you’ll try a new pair of shoes, a new talk, a new walk. If you think in this moment you know who you are, hell I bet you do. But who will you be a year from now? Or five? Or ten? Saying you’ll know is like picking a spot way out on the horizon and describing the shadow of a tree. It’s not for you to know until you’ve walked right on top of it and stood within its shade.

Someone or something will always be coming into your life to show you new ropes and new ways of thinking. Someone or something has already made you laugh, or cry, and taught you that you're worth something, or worth nothing. Either way it's always been up to you to believe it or not. At some point you will step back from Influence and look inward and ask: Am I who I want to be? Am I proud of who I am?

There will be a point when we stop trying to prove ourselves to others, and instead try to prove ourselves, well, to ourselves. There will be a point when we know exactly what we are and what we are not, and we accept them both as equals in the balance of our being. We do the best we can do by ourselves and by others, which is either enough for those we have in our lives, or it isn’t.

We push forward, some embracing change, others determined to avoid it- yet change will come. We will walk forward through time, through the various stages of our lives and through the lives of others. We’ll put on another pair of shoes, sometimes mourning the loss of the prior, sometimes reveling in the cushion of a fresh, uncompressed sole. We’ll take this new pair for a walk, wear them down and see new parts of the world- whether it’s across the globe or waiting just beyond the street corner. We’ll walk until we meet the horizon and stand in shadow or blinding sun.

The one thing in my life--I have found--that remains constant is love. Clinging to its presence, its absence, its effect, we are bound to it. It is the lace that keeps the shoe so securely embracing our feet as we go and when it unravels we falter, we trip, we lose stride.

I am not who I once was, I am not who I will be, I am ever discovering that those walking beside me transform and change places as well. But the love, it’s always there. I'm grateful for it, for the road it takes me down is at the very least an interesting one. And of all life’s questions when it comes to knowing oneself you don’t have to think twice about it, all you have to do is keep walking.
Grandpa Ken learning to Walk. Thinking of you today and everyday Gpa!

My sister doesn't walk, she flies.

Yours truly, trying on a different pair of shoes. What's changed?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creative Hour

Blue Sky Lady