That Home Feeling

Good evening Blog,

First- If you know anyone in the military, in any country, tell them about this and please consider it yourself- www.operationcorrespondence.com Great. THANK YOU. Onwards...

Tonight I'm out at the Carpenito's. Lynne Carpenito has just pulled two perfectly baked dishes of brownies from the oven, Joe is working on a robo man model next to me, and Liz Longley is singing "When You've Got Trouble" so sweetly to us via iTunes. It's a beautiful evening to cap a beautiful day out here in Carlisle where the sun was shining warm and the ice cream was sweet and cold.

Much has happened since I last wrote you. I've moved into my own apartment in Davis Square! The commute to work is so much easier, I can finally find yoga or coffee shops if I have need, and if I want to stay out and meet up with friends I don't have to keep a knot in my stomach over whether or not the bus will be an hour or fifteen minutes- A train is always ten minutes away, tops (Excepting when they break down or suddenly fill with smoke from electrical fires. Thanks MBTA).

Anyway, it's brought me much peace of mind to have things just so in my own space- I found out I'm extremely anal about it- how clean the bathroom floor is, how many dishes are allowed in the sink, what stays plugged in, how dusty the corners get. Plus, if you didn't know this, or I haven't already said it, I'm secretly a hermit and I love to be alone. I need to be alone at the end of the day. It's really the only time for me to take a really deep breath, regroup my thoughts and my space and well, just breathe. Write. Sing. Cook. Relax. I feel so lucky the opportunity popped up. It's a small studio with my kitchen also my bedroom, and a nice little bathroom, and there's still enough room somehow for my books and keyboard and guitars and general stuff.

I can't emphasize how much this move has changed my life here in Boston. Suddenly it feels available. Suddenly it's less of a mountain to climb to see folks. Suddenly I feel like, for the first time since Portland that I have my own little home. And God knows that for the rest of my life the feeling I will seek is that of home. No doubt for that very reason I am happy as a clam writing on my blog at the kitchen counter amidst the scene of this home cooking, the grill smoke outside, the dog stretching, the phone ringing, the footsteps, the glasses being set down, the humming, the home sounds.

Outside of this, work is... well work. But that's to be expected. Mom is coming to visit me at the end of this month and I can't wait to take her to the museum for an floral exhibition, where flower arrangements will be made as inspired by the designer's assigned museum piece. It should be really interesting! She's only going to be here for a weekend, but she's going to camp out with me and we're going to do whatever the hell we want to. Which I can't wait for! Think, a nice dinner out and a batch of rice krispies?

Now on witnessing the darndest- the other day an old man recited a song he wrote for a young woman in a local bar yesterday and I was lucky enough to witness it. How sweet he was! His song about a flower blooming near a mailbox... and something or other. I couldn't eavesdrop TOO closely or it would be rude. He had a journal full of writing. Is anyone else out there devilishly curious about what other people write in their journals? She gave him a sweet chuck on her shoulder and joked about what her boyfriend might think about it. He smiled and for the rest of the night drank his beer quietly. I told him his song was lovely on the way out :)

Other things that made me happy recently- remembering library books with their musty pages and the sound of their plastic covers. I remember the first truly long book I read was Heidi and I was in the sixth grade. I loved every moment of that book that brought me to the Swiss Alps, and immersed me in the coziness of it's sweet, soft pages.

Oh dear! Look at the time. The Carpenito's dinner guests will be here any moment. And I've just offered to pour the folks a cold beer so off I go! Take care one and all. Much love. And please remember-

www.operationcorrespondence.com

It's my big life's project right now. It would mean the world to me and to wounded soldiers if you could consider this and pass it on.

Much love,
Em

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creative Hour

Blue Sky Lady